Ecobee is a Canadian provider of home security equipment, including smart home devices such as smart thermostats plus security cameras. They were established in 2007 and are known for selling quality refurbished equipment to help you save money.
Abode is a modern home security provider started by an ex-ADT executive aiming to launch various affordable smart home security products. Abode and Ecobee have a lot in common but have key differences, too, let's take a look at which is best for you.
Abode vs Ecobee: What do they have in common?
- Professional monitoring: You can choose to have a fully professionally monitored security system with either provider; several monitoring plans are available.
- Video resolution: You can purchase 1080p HD video cameras.
- Mobile app: You can download an app from each provider; the apps allow you to monitor a live feed of your security camera and receive motion-activated notifications. The apps are available on iOS and android.
- Video storage: Abode and Ecobee offer cloud storage.
- Smart home automation: Ecobee and Abode offer similar smart home automation, including Amazon Alexa, Apple Homekit, etc.
- Pricing: You can expect to pay a similar amount for each system.
- Video doorbells: Doorbell cameras are a great way to keep your home safe while offering convenient ways to deal with deliveries, etc.
- Motion detection: Abode and Ecobee offer high-quality motion sensors.
- Indoor cameras: There are a variety of indoor security cameras available
Abode vs Ecobee: What are the differences?
- Cellular backup: Abode offers cellular backup; Ecobee doesn't.
- Refurbished equipment: Ecobee offers refurbished equipment with up to 60% off.
- Advanced sensors: Abode offers advanced all-in-one sensors that detect occupancy, climate, motion, etc.
- Warranty: Ecobee has a three-year warranty on all security equipment and cameras, and Abode only offers a one-year warranty.
- Outdoor cameras: Abode offers a variety of outdoor cameras, but Ecobee doesn't offer any, preferring to specialize in indoor cameras. Abode also offers night vision.
- Weatherproofing: Abode offers weatherproof cameras.
- Field of view: Abode's field of view is usually around 120 degrees, but Ecobee cameras go up to 180 degrees.
Ecobee: What you need to know
Ecobee is best known for the Ecobee smart thermostat. Then it began offering full security systems and cutting-edge security equipment. Let's look at what Ecobee has to offer.
The installation process differs; the EcoBee SmartCamera can be set up in a few minutes, but you'll need to attach the mount by drilling into the wall. If you want a smart thermostat, you'll need professional assistance. While comprehensive guides are available online, professional installation isn't offered.
Ecobee offers a vast array of equipment, including:
- Door sensors
- Window sensors
- Wi-Fi thermostats
- Smart cameras with voice control
- Voice-controlled smart thermostat
- Switch + Smart speaker
Ecobee offers a growing and feature-packed range, including a thermostat, smart speaker, and more. Third-party integrations include IFTTT (If This Then That) equipment such as Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant.
- Equipment costs: There are security kits, including cameras, for $249, but you can purchase individual cameras for $99. You can save money by purchasing a refurbished camera.
- Monthly costs: Monthly fees are optional - you don't have to purchase Ecobee Haven, but your capabilities may be limited without it. You can pay $5 per month and store video footage from one camera, or you can pay $10 monthly for unlimited storage and RapidSOS response.
- Refurbished products: Ecobee offers approved refurbished products. You can save 60% from your usual cost by purchasing reconditioned Ecobee products.
- Professional monitoring: Professional monitoring is available for just $10 a month.
- Warranty: All equipment comes with a three-year warranty.
- Voice control: Thanks to Amazon Alexa, you'll have voice control at your disposal.
- Smart home integration: Ecobee has excellent smart thermostats and compatibility with several IFTTT products, including Apple Homekit, allowing you to design your smart home ecosystem.
- Installation: Unlike Abode, you can't choose to opt for professional monitoring.
- No environmental sensors: Ecobee doesn't offer any environmental monitoring.
- Cellular backup: You're vulnerable to issues such as power cuts; there's no cellular backup.
Abode: What you need to know
Abode is an inexpensive provider set up by an ex-ADT executive to offer affordable security kits. They offer flexibility and compatibility with various Z-wave technologies such as Apple Homekit, Amazon's Alexa, and Google Assistant. Abode offers professional monitoring, too. You can buy environmental sensors and other extras from Abode.
You probably don't need assistance to install your Abode system, and you'll have everything you need with your order. Setup typically takes 30-45 minutes, but you may want professional assistance for a wired system. Your Abode security system can be professionally installed in some areas.
Abode has affordable, accessible packages, but you can also purchase extras on an a la carte basis. Equipment available includes:
- Gateway control panel (or Iota control panel for an extra $30)
- Contact sensors, including door and window sensors
- Motion detectors
- Glassbreak sensors
- Carbon monoxide sensors
- Temperature/light sensor
- Smoke alarm
- Wide-angle motion camera
- Abode indoor cameras
- Indoor and outdoor sirens
- Water leak detectors
- Power switch
- Occupancy sensor
Abode offers many smart home devices, including all-in-one environment sensors, smoke detectors, temperature sensors, smart thermostats, etc. But Abode also has compatibility with Apple Homekit, Alexa, Google Nest, and other equipment.
- Equipment cost: You'll purchase a starter kit, the Abode Iota is the most popular, and you can anticipate spending less than $250.
- Monthly costs: Unless you want additional extras, you won't need to pay any fees. Professional monitoring costs $20 a month, and You can purchase cellular backup for $8 monthly.
- Flexibility: You'll have total flexibility; you can choose whether to have professional installation, monitoring, etc. There are no long-term contracts.
- Warranty: All equipment comes with a 12-month warranty.
- Price: This is an ideal option for those wanting a full smart home security system without spending a fortune, and you won't be forced into expensive long-term contracts.
- Person detection: You can reduce the risk of false alarms thanks to Abode's advanced person detection.
- Voice control: Thanks to Amazon Alexa, you can control your system with voice control.
- Camera quality: 1080p HD quality is excellent, especially at a low price.
- Online reviews: Some of the online reviews for the Abode app and system are less than perfect.
- Variety: Abode doesn't offer much variety, with only a few home security cameras.
Abode or Ecobee?
Adobe and Ecobee are two great security systems, you can choose to use them as DIY home security systems with self-monitoring and great smart home options, or you can choose professional monitoring. Ecobee is great and offers better smart home options, but they can't help you until an incident has happened inside your home as they only offer indoor cameras. With professional monitoring, a monitoring center will keep an eye on your home remotely for your peace of mind. But since Abode cameras can be used outdoors, you should consider them first.
This article has been reviewed and approved by Officer Banta.
Officer Banta is the official SecurityNerd home security and safety expert. A member of the Biloxi Police Department for over 24 years, Officer Banta reviews all articles before lending his stamp of approval. Click here for more information on Officer Banta and the rest of our team.